WARC VEC TESTING
The Watauga Amateur Radio Club Volunteer Examiner Team will be offering license exam test sessions every three months. We are proud to be affiliated with the WCARS VEC.
Information about the Technician Class license can be found at http://www.arrl.org/getting-your-technician-license A book that will help students prepare for the licensing exam can be found at: http://www.w5yi.org/catalog_details.php?pid=76. Also, there are many Apps available at the Apple App store which offer courses and sample tests.
The FCC exam consists of 35 randomly chosen questions that focus on basic electronics and radio operating practices. A passing grade of 70% is required to earn the Technician Class License. Numerous opportunities exist to take practice tests before the license exam.
IF YOU ARE TAKING A TEST:
Please bring a photo ID, pencils, and optionally a (non-graphing, non-programmable) calculator. The test fee is $15. That fee allows you to take Technician, then General, and then Amateur Extra exams if you wish (you must first pass the Technician license before taking the General, and, likewise, pass the General before taking the Extra). To retake any test requires an extra $15 fee. IF PAYING BY CASH, PLEASE BRING EXACT CHANGE. VERY IMPORTANT !!!!!!!!! You’ll need a Federal Registration Number (FRN). If you’d like to get an FRN, go to https://www.fcc.gov/licensing-databases/fcc-registration-commission-registration-system and click on the Register for a New FRN link.
How to print a copy of your FCC License
(Thanks to KV4S and the December 2019 Forsyth Amateur Radio Club Newsletter)
- Go to https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/login.jsp
- Login with your FRN and password. (Also has links to find or get your FRN.)
- Click on “Download Electronic Authorizations” in the links on the left hand side.
- Select your call sign in the box labeled “My Authorizations” and click on the Add button to copy it into the “Authorizations to Download” box.
- Click on the Download button to download an official copy of your license in PDF format
This is the official version you need for your wallet card and to display in your station.